Desk-to-dinner, chic to statement, the shirt dress might be one of the most hard-working wardrobe mainstays...
Fashion fun fact - The shirt dress has an interesting feminist origin. Started as a ‘shirtwaist top’, fashioned after a man’s shirt with a matching skirt bottom, it emerged in the 1890s as the uniform for the progressive New Woman. And later on, it surged in popularity during the post-war 1940s as the work-appropriate attire when women first entered the workforce.
10 Ways to style a long shirt dress
- Add statement accessories like a scarf or a thick waisted belt for a more sophisticated look.
- Create the bohemian style with your signature fedora hat and Gladiator sandals.
- Style with different footwear such as knee-high suede boots, red stilettos or platform heels.
- Unbutton in different ways to create different looks.
- Wear it like a long coat or under a sweater for cooler seasons.
- Style with jeans or leather shorts for the casual weekend.
- Create the understated resort chic style, layer it over your swimwear like a taftan.
- Go stylish casual with a cap and sneakers for cafe hopping or grocery run.
- Wear a leather or structured bustier top for a date night or party with the girls.
- Put on your favourite blazer and wear a belt for the sharp, office look.